Constipation is very come in kids, if child is having fewer than three bowel movements in week; or the stool is hard or unusually large. A child is considered constipated, it most commonly occurs when waste or stool moves too slowly through the digestive tract, causing the stool to become hard and dry. Many factor can be contributing to constipation in children, most generic are below.
- Toilet Training Issues: If the toilet training is beginning too soon, child may rebel and hold in stool, one should not take the toilet training at war level, a voluntary decision to ignore the urge to poop can quickly become an involuntary habit that’s tough to change
- Changes in Diet: Not enough fiber – rich fruits and vegetable or fluid in your child’s diet may cause constipation.
- Changes in Routine: Any changes in your child routine, which includes travel, hot weather – can affect bowel function. Children are also most likely to experience constipation when they first start school outside of the home
- Family History: A family hereditary of constipation, is one of the most common cause of constipation in generations, this may be due to shared genetic or environmental factors.
One can always escape from the trouble and suffering which your child goes through in constipation, by quick and easy home remedies tips and tricks.
1) High Fiber Foods: High Fiber foods such as whole grains and apricots, sweet potatoes, pears, prunes, peaches, plums, beans, peas, broccoli or spinach help ease the passage of stool
2) Fluids: It is always good to keep your child hydrated, if a child does not drink adequate fluids, he/she is more likely to get constipated. Beyond good hydration, excessive amounts of water are unlikely to resolve constipation.
3) Ghee in Milk: In a mild hot milk, half table spoon of ghee is an age old Indian Traditional remedy for constipation, if your kid is between 1 To 3 years, the mixture of it can be given in feeder when he/she is fast asleep. For children 4 and above a glass of milk at bed time is enough to get relief from the constipation.
4) Stomach Massage: Gently Massage the stomach of your baby, in a clock wise direction with the help of your finger tip, massage around the navel as well, in an outward, spherical motion. It will eradicate the gas out of your baby tummy and give him/her relief from the symptoms of constipation.
5) Sugar Solutions: Mix ½ teaspoon of sugar in an ounce of water. Give this solution to your baby three times a day before feeding him/her formula food. Instead of white sugar, it is recommended to use brown sugar for preparing this solution.
6) Raisins: Soak 5-6 raisins in water and keep them soaked for the whole night. Crush them well the next day. Strain it. The raisin liquid will regulate the bowel movement of the child.
7) Medications: In several cases the child can be given laxatives recommended by your clinician to ease the bowel movement
Note: If the constipation gets severe with time it is always recommended to see pediatrician for rig ours treatment
— Namrata Sharma —
An IT professional during the day, writer during the night and full time mother to her son.
One of its kind saturday sessions for Parents Toddlers to have fun, bond, build on values and learn lifebased themes. Register now for the open session on 4th March in Gurgaon.
Image Source: Sir Health