1. What benefit child will get from going to a preschool and when should it start ?
A good preschool will provide your child with an interactive environment which help with their physical, mental, social, emotional, cognitive and holistic development. This in turn will make them better prepared for kindergarten when the time comes.
2. Typically, what is the educational philosophy followed by preschool?
Many preschools follow a particular philosophy like Montessori, Reggio Emilia, and Waldorf. Some follow playway or based on experience of the teacher who runs the centre. It is important to know what philosophy the preschool follows.
3. What is the experience of the teachers & staff?
A good preschool will have teachers who have done the early childhood education from reputed colleges. They should have complete knowledge of a child’s developmental stages and should also be caring and warm towards children.
4. Are meals & snacks provided at preschool?
All preschools are different. Many preschools provide snacks for the children while there are many which do not. You can choose a preschool based on your requirement, nutrition value and service provided.
5. If child get sick during school hours & needs medication?
All preschools have a first aid kit with the basic medicines for children well stocked and in case of illness the parents are immediately informed. The preschool should also maintain a record of children’s allergies and illnesses if any.
6. Is potty training needed before joining preschool?
Potty training is not necessary for preschool. Children can take their time becoming potty trained and preschool can also help in the process of them becoming more independent and potty trained.
7. What are the safety measures followed to ensure safety of child inside premises ?
There should be appropriate security measures like a guard at the entrance of day care, gate height not accessible to child, visitors should not be allowed without permission and handover of the child should only be given to registered guardians.
8. How much parental involvement does the preschool want ?
You need to be aware whether the preschool requires parent involvement only when it comes to parent teacher meetings or if they have interactive activities for children and parents together.
9. Is there emphasize given to converse in a particular language with the child ?
Some preschools only converse in English and some also encourage children to speak in their mother tongue. You need to be aware of what is the first language of the preschool used to interact which children to make an informed decision.
10. How much time will the child get for outdoor/indoor play?
Every preschool has a different approach to free play. Some may be more academically inclined and others have more free play. Choose a preschool which fits your child rearing philosophy.