Corona virus, the disease caused by the novel corona virus. It is also called as COVID-19 – ‘CO’ stands for corona, ‘VI’ for the virus, and ‘D’ for the disease. There is a lot of misinformation about Corona virus being circulated on the internet like how to stay safe, and what are the precautions, about vaccine availability etc. So, it’s important to be careful while you look for information and advice.
It’s a national effort to win Corona virus fight, we all have a crucial part to play. Sonali Shivlani; Pregnancy and Post Natal Consultant, shares the right information to protect your child from COVID 19:
How does the corona virus spread?
It is spreading through the direct contact with respiratory droplets of an infected person while coughing and sneezing or when you touch the surfaces which are contaminated with the virus. The virus may survive on surfaces for several hours, but a simple sanitizer or disinfectants can kill it.
The symptoms of Corona virus
Symptoms can include cough, fever and shortness of breath. In more severe cases symptoms are like pneumonia or breathing difficulties.
What are the precautions?
- Wash your hands frequently using soap and water or an alcohol-based hand rub
- Cover your mouth & nose with flexed elbow or tissue when coughing or sneezing. Dispose of used tissue in a closed box immediately.
- Avoid close contact with anyone who has cold or flu-like symptoms
- Avoid social gatherings
- Seek medical care early if you or your child has a fever, cough or difficulty breathing
FAQs related to Coronavirus :
- What should I do if a family member displays symptoms?
You should seek medical care early if you or your child has a fever, cough or difficulty breathing. Call central Helpline Number for corona-virus.
- Does COVID-19 affect children?
It may infect people of any age-group. Old people & kids are more prone to it because their immunity is lower than other age groups.
- Are medical masks necessary for everyone?
The use of a medical mask is to be used as per doctor’s advice or to an infected person (who is coughing or sneezing)to protect others. If you don’t have any symptoms, then there is no need to wear a mask.
- What is the best way to wash hands properly?
Take soap, running water & scrub all surfaces of the hands, including the back of hands, between fingers and under nails. Do this for at least 20 seconds.
- Do we have medications to cure it?
Today, at this point in time, we do not have medicines to cure corona virus disease, the best thing is to practice good respiratory & daily hygiene.
- What kind of sanitizer is effective in this case?
Alcohol-based sanitizer would be an effective killer of this virus.
- Does a flu shot helps to avoid this virus?
No flu shots can help to avoid this as this is a different bread of virus.
- When it is suggested to consult a doctor?
When you have a dry cough, high fever & problem in breathing, consult a doctor immediately.
- How t avoid this or what are the precautions?
Do exercise, maintain general hygiene, do not touch your mouth, eyes & nose, keep yourself hydrated etc.
She also adds that care & precautions can take to limit the spread of the corona virus. Do not panic & spread the right information. Eat healthily, eat lots of fruits & dry fruits, add a lot of spices in your diet like, ginger, garlic, cinnamon because it has a lot of antioxidants, as an expecting mother you should have balanced diet, eat well and be hydrated, avoid public transport if you can. Be informed & pass the right information to win the fight against the COVID 19.